lunes, 14 de julio de 2008

Bullfights in Chota

I live in a town that consist mostly of people who move here from the mountians. There are two towns in the province of Cajamarca that the people come from, sanat Cruz and Chota. Chota is famos for two things. One is that the people are violent and weild machetes. The other is for the second largest bullfight in the contry. There are only seven countries in the world that have bull fights.
The first one was really aweful. The matador was from Spain. He was supposed to be one of the best in the world. He had a hard time killing the bull. At that point I was not thrilled at all I had to watch anoth 17 bulls get treated like that. But the very next matador was from Mexico. He was increadible. He taunted and danced like no other through out the weekend. With out question he was the best matador there. But due to racism he did not win. The peruvians wanted a peruvian to win. The head judge is the acting mayor, so I imagine it would kill your carrer tpo vote for a foriegner. We did go out with the mexican guy at night. He not only was good at what he did but he was also one hell of a guy.
We were treated to the wonderful weekend by the volunteer who lives in a small town outside of Chota. He family had us over one day to kill a pig. Yes, kill a pig. The typical food of the region is fried pork skin. So her family wanted to prepare some for us. It was really nice to see a small cajamarcan town. To see the real form of life there. Her family raises guinea pigs, so they had a barn full of them. I mean hundreds of them. The food was great and her mom sent us on our way to the fights with a bag of meat. How sweet of her, right.
So the best story from the trip came on my last night. My buddy Justin and I went out to eat at a resturaunt. It was Chota so the fact that we were eating at the nicest resturant in town does not mean much. It just so happen that all of the matadors were sitting to the table to the left of us, and to our right was Grupo 5 the peruvian beetles if you will. About half way through our meal justing and I noticed something. We were getting better service and more attention that either of the afor mentions groups. We had a good laugh about it. We are very acoustomed to the racisim here but usually it is the negative type. I went to the grupo 5 concert that night and had a blast. It was one of the best shows I have been to in my life.
I got some huge news for everybody that I will put in my blog in the next couple of days. I am trying to get my pictures up but my camera is out of batteries. They will be up tomorrow.

No hay comentarios: