domingo, 16 de diciembre de 2007

Two and counting

This week was a lot more of the same. I mean I spent a lot of time running around and I put a couple of steps in the right direction. I finally signed up for facebook. Facebook is like having a child. The more time that you have it the more yo need to take care of it.
On the project front I made some good progress this week. I got my paint for my World Map Project. I set up meetings with a couple of directors and met with three different NGOs. Mext week I am making pizza (because all Gringos eat at home is pizza) with the faculty in Pierra Perada. I think this will be my most successful proect area with youth. The faculty is very motivated and the kids are really sweet. I have awesome class with them on wensday followed by a introduction to garden. I have my fingers crossed. I NGOs I met with were interested in my ideas, but have plans of thier ownalso. I think that I will be able to succur funding from them on multiple occations. One is a local lending firm via the largest employer in my area, San Juan Grapes. The other is a local NGO that only works in my department. Both of these organizaton focus on improving the quality of life for the people in my area. I just have to find a way to make thier funding end up in sustainable areas. I am meeting with the PTA of the Scol in Tierra Blanca on friday to discuss the logistics of my map. I should be able to start painting in January if all goes right. I started my house visits this week. They are going to be a learniong experience. Each one of them. The people love to talk, but it takes about an hour to get down to it. I have four hundred houses that I ahve to visit about three times each. Do the math. I am going to busy.
I have three good stories from this week. Fisrt the shortest. I was walking down the main street in down with my site mate yesterday on the way to ceatch a intercity transport. When we were crossing the street I looked down and saw roadkill, but it was not just any kind of roadkill. It was arat. Now I know us americans think that we all have it figured out, and that we are the most efficent with our time. But this really throws a wrench into the spokes of that idea. Talk about time saving.
The second and easily the most discusting came yesterday morning. I woke up late (about 8 o´clock) and went to the table. My grandma here imediatly tells me to sit down and eat. So I grab some bread and coffe and have my breakfast. No sooner than finishing my first piece of bread I hear the goat start to bah like no one´s business. About 20 seconds later my dad walks aroung the corner carrying the goat upside down by its legs. He puts it down on the table about 20 feet in front of me in clear view. Now I never really think of my self a city boy, but this shattered that realization. He took a knife and slit its throat right in front of me. As I felt my stomach tighten watching the goat bleed out, my grandma (like she does every 7 seconds when I am at the table) said, Ëat whity eat!. With her pestering I finished my breakfast with the senery of goat slaying and skinning.
The third story is also a little grusome but a lot funnier. It happened about a week ago. I came home late, near dark, and as I entered the house my grandma yelled at me to eat. So I went to my room and grabbed my head lamp. I sat down at the table to eat. As I regretfuly uncovered my plate it was the same food I have every single night. fried cabbage, rice and this night chicken (there is not usually meat). So I ate my chicken leg mixing in bites of cold rice and cabbage. also had half of a chicken breast. Might I remind you that it was pitch black out site of the shine of my head lamp. I have this system where in order to eat the 5 some odd pounds of rice that I get every meal I like to pick the meat off the bone all at once, and the mix it in with the rice to give it some flavor. As I started to pick the meat off the chicken breast I noticed a couple of things. First off this meat was really hard to seperate from th bone. Most of the meat I eat is over cooked (thank god not the opposite) so it is really odd it would not seperate. Than I looked a little closer. The meat was really dark. I told my self that it was probably burnt, and thought nothing else of it. So Peruvians understandably get really offended if you throw out food, so I pick my bones clean. One I got all of my meat from the extior off I notcied there was some more under the breast plate. I stuck my finger in the cavity that my fork would not fit. I moved it around, and all of a sudden it happened. A eyeball came rolling out. At this point I was a bit confused. Chickens eyes are not suposed to be in there chest. So I took a closer look once again. I notice that this in fact was not a chicken breats, but a guinea pig skull. With closer observation I noticed the teeth, eye sockets, and brain. Needless to say guinea pig tastes like chicken.

2 comentarios:

Liz dijo...

Hey, gringo, you're a lot braver at the table than I would be. Did you eat the eyeball?

Matthew A. West dijo...

I did not eat the eyeball but I did play with it until I was sure