viernes, 2 de noviembre de 2007

A litle bit anxious

Halo,
I am glad to have the opportunity to write. I have been with out a day off for sometime now. The last time we had free time I was not feeling well and spent the day in my bed. Last night we had a great party to make up for Halloween. I think almost every volunteer in Peru 10 was there.
Last week I got a good look at what my future two years will be like. To be dead honest I was not that impressed. We went to the province of Lambayeque. It is a coastal province in the north. We spent the week looking at sustainable projects such as beekeeping, small animal husbandry, compost, latrine building, building efficient wood burning stoves, historical site preservation, small gardens, and for forest protection. I learned a great deal and will for sure have a opportunity to do good work. I just am not that thrilled about the dry forest. We visited the site where the Senor de Sipan was found. If you do not know who he is you really should look him up. When he was found the tomb was more decorated than King Tut.
We spent an afternoon looking at the Huascas (Ancient adobe pyramids) and there reconstruction projects. I have some great photos. I will get them up soon.
I get my site assignment next Tuesday. Needless to say I am very anxious. I really have not Idea where I am going. Pretty much it is some dry forest site in the north. Well that is all any one knows. I am ready to serve. I really enjoy training, but I would like to get started with things.
Yesterday I helped a woman from a different barrio build a cage for her Guinea pigs. I am really glad that I went. No one else there really had a clue of what they were doing. It was a really interesting experience. Their was a man there. HE actually knew about Peace Corps (this is really rare with the Peruvians). He asked a lot of questions of me when I was doing manual labor. Which I thought was weird. Maybe is it some new cultural difference I am just coming into contact. I will tell you what is a cultural difference. About an hour and a half in, while I was getting eaten alive by these what are called mosquitos, but are closer to sand flies, I looked up. The man who does not live at the house and really did not need to be there other than for social reasons was video taping me. I thought that was a little strange. Especially since after about another ten minute there where two other guys taking pictures. Why? I may never know, but you all should keep your eyes out for me in some tabloid :).
I plan to write again soon after I get my site assignment.
Hasta Luego,
Mateo

3 comentarios:

JeffW dijo...

Great post, Mateo. I know of what you speak! The anxiety about your assignment will disappear when you get there and really begin to feel like you are making a difference. It will happen sooner than you think. Soak it all in.

Jeff

mlwest dijo...

so glad you finally wrote! I have been checking pretty much every day! I hope you get a really fun assignment and even if the dry forest doesn't sound appealing right now, I feel like you will find something to appreciate in it that you didn't expect! Life here is pretty good, I've done extremely well on all my tests so far and am starting in on the next wave. Hope to hear from you soon!
Love, Martha

gillian.west dijo...

Don't worry, I am keeping my eyes peeled for you in local and international tabloids. Nothing yet so far. Before I went to China they told us that it was likely that Chinese people would want to take pictures of us or come up to us just to practice their English or get autographs. It didn't happen when I was there; I guess white people aren't as interesting as they were a decade ago. Not the case in Peru obviously...